Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Answer - Sisterlocks®

After seven years of the TWA, it was time for a change. But what were my options? The one thing I was absolutely certain of was that I would not ever again alter the natural texture of my hair. Once you come into the knowledge of self, you can never turn back.

I was thinking of locking, but thought I'd tire of the traditional dread "bob." Then what? I began to question everyone I saw with natural hair. One day while at the grocery store I saw a sister who had the most well groomed, neat, feminine locks I had ever seen. I approached her and asked if they were dreads. She said they were Sisterlocks®, "similar to dreads but smaller with more styling options." She suggested that I visit the Sisterlocks® web site to learn more. As soon as I logged on and began to read, I knew I had found the solution for me and my natural hair challenges!

Dr. JoAnne Cornwell, Associate Professor of Africana Studies and French at San Diego State University trademarked the Sisterlocks® hair management system in 1993 which allows those with tightly textured hair to take advantage of a wide range of today's hairstyles without having to alter the natural texture of their hair (no chemical use). Sisterlocks® offered all of the styling flexibility I wanted without the worry or time of taking added her out, humidity, rain, exercising, swimming or sweating.

I went on a search for more information regarding Sisterlocks® and discovered an inspiring Web site "Sisterlocks® - One Woman's Journey To The Other Side" chronicling the four year Sisterlocks® journey of Sandy, beginning day one. Being able to read and see her experiences more than anything or anyone convinced me that Sisterlocks® was the right solution for me. Her site even inspired me to document and tell my own story.

I don't mean to make this journey sound as if it occurred overnight because it is indeed a journey. Making the decision to wear Sisterlocks® is a lifestyle and, for me, a spiritual journey as well. It is not a decision made lightly. It took me two years to know within my heart and spirit that I was ready. Now that I have been divorced for a year, my oldest son getting married in a few months and my youngest son just graduating from college, I felt the timing was right during this major transitional period of my life.

Me & My Sons
(Oldest on left)

In the meantime, I sported a variety of natural hairstyles while growing my hair out and waiting until my mind and spirit were ready to begin the journey. But nothing compares to the freedom of Sisterlocks®!

No comments:

Photo Copyrights

Please do not copy or print photos from this blog without my express permission.

BlaqKofi