Thursday, August 10, 2006

Sisterlocks & Sisterhood at 14 Months

My 14 month-to-da-day pics. I was getting ready for work and decided to snap these quick pics with my new camera. I added the scarf to keep the hair out of my face and to try and combat the 104 degree heat today!

There was a recent post on Lockitup that I totally related to. A sister shared her joy at her first encounter with another Sisterlocked. Remember your first time?

She said she felt such a bond as if they should share some secret handshake or let out some kind of chant. Instead they just smiled knowingly.

My response...

I can totally relate. It is a wonderful thing to come face to face with another woman who has Sisterlocks. An ever increasing number of the select few get to experience this sisterhood and I'm proud to be a part of it.

I have made some wonderful and dear friends thanks to Sisterlocks and LockItUp. A group of LockItUp DFW ladies decided to meet in person last October. My locks were a mere four months old. There were about 10-12 of us. We had never laid eyes on each other, but the bond was immediate.

We ate, talked, laughed, shared and took tons of pictures. No one wanted to leave. And oh what stares we received! People of all races ALWAYS curiously approach us and want to know about our group allowing us to share - Sisterlocks. With a group of beautiful, natural black women, they can't help but inquire.

We've gotten together several times since and each time our numbers have grown. A group of the ladies recently traveled to New York and visited Broadway to see The Color Purple and tour the Big Apple. Fellow locked sisters from New York like Leighann, the original Sisterlocks blogger, and the diva Brunsli traveled from Cali to join the group. That's sisterhood.

We're gathering again August 20 in Dallas for a Sunday Jazz Brunch. I can't wait to see my friends and make some new ones.

Interested in joining us - locked, natural or not, hit me up on email for more details.

Sisterlocks and sisterhood at 14 months, and the journey continues...

BlaqKofi


Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Creyole said...

You always take such nice pictures and I too can't wait to see ya!

brunsli said...

Your hair looks fabulous!

I see you have the same Caruso addiction that I have.

I wish I could join you all!

Tequila Jackson Allen said...

You take such nice photos always I wish I could join you guys o how i wish!

Cee said...

Your hair looks great.. You always take beautiful pics. My locks were 3 years old on the 15th of August. I would like to join you all for the August gathering.. I attended the March Gathering through all the rain and had a nice time.

Lyriq said...

You and your hair always looks great! I'm a sort of shy blogger...but I've been a fan of yours for a while(since your magazine cover days -lol. Anyway keep sharing your progress.

Maryee said...

You look cute with those glasses on!!

Photo Copyrights

Please do not copy or print photos from this blog without my express permission.

BlaqKofi